|My hand, my glove and an opened Fine de Claire|
Image from Locky's English Playground
I have made a video of my own for this, do check it out!
- A strong oyster knife will save you much energy
- An oyster holder also multiplies your strength
- If an oyster on the oyster holder isn't giving you a good angle, then just put the oyster on flat surface
- It's twisting and rotating your knife before leveraging, not the other way round.
- Cut the scallop and your oyster will release the shell.
And here's the oyster anatomy for your reference:
Image from pearlmagpie.co.uk
If you still think my video isn't good enough, well then, learn from my oyster shucker teacher, Suki, from Taylor Shellfish Farm in this episode of Dirty Jobs by Mike Rowe. Trust me, it is great fun to watch!
So, once you have learnt the skills and tricks, the world is your oyster!!!
|Unwanted oyster shells are actually good for the environment?|
Image from Ari Brown
Do you know that unwanted oyster shell can actually clean the sea? No? Check out my article back in May 2009.
Not enough info? I will write more about oysters next time if chances arrive.
shooting fish in a barrel -- (idiom) see TV & Vocabulary: Mythbusters & English Idioms
shuck -- (vb)[T] to remove the shell or natural covering from something that is eaten:
the world is your oyster -- (idiom) if the world is your oyster, you have the ability and the freedom to do anything or go anywhere
How To Open An Oyster @ YouTube
Dirty Jobs - Clam Shucker @ YouTube
Taylor Shellfish Farm
Dirty Jobs by Mike Rowe
Science & Environment: How Sea Shells Clean Water @ Locky's English Playground
TV & Vocabulary: Mythbusters & English Idioms @ Locky's English Playground