Tuesday 25 August 2009

Vocabulary: Baldness Terminology

Last week, a student asked me to about the different hairstyles of baldness. I only did an article on common hairstyle but honestly, I really don’t know if baldness is really considered as hairstyle, my vocabulary on this topic was really limited, so I did my research.

According to Hairstyle.co.za, “The most common form of hair loss baldness is a progressive hair thinning condition called androgenic alopecia or 'male pattern baldness' that occurs in adult male humans and other primate species.” The description continues and gets more complex, but they sound a little too pro, not what I was looking for, so I decided to start from Donald Trump.

Donald Trump is famous his “comb over”, the only bald style I know, which is covering the top part of the head with the hair on the sides, so I thought that was a good place to start my research.

Another most common type is called “receding hairline”, when the bottom line of the hair retreats backwards.
The final one I think it is worth remembering is “spot baldness”, which means that hair begins losing from one location.